07 April 2020

Finished Work from "Worlds Within Worlds"


I wanted to put this up as the "finished picture" from Kerby Rosanes' Worlds Within Worlds, compared to what I put up two weeks ago or so. (cf Work in Progress) The mediums used for this picture include Prismacolor Premium colored pencils, Signo white gel pen, some Neocolor II water soluble crayons (for background water), and some white acrylic paint to enhance the Signa.

 Last night I thought I had ruined the picture and felt pretty bummed out. Except for  the background the entire picture was finished and I was really happy with it. I began the background. Awful!!  I actually considered giving up even the hours and hours worth of good work I had done; I then considered a couple of other unworkable (read "totally crazy") "solutions"! Fortunately, this afternoon I came back to the picture and continued adding layers and colors. I'm not entirely happy with it (it is not what I envisioned or wanted!), but it's not bad. More importantly, it reminds me of the need for patience, perseverance, and the importance of not judging such things until one is truly done.  

One book I am rereading parts of for Holy Week is, Triumph Through Failure, by John J Navone, sj. It's an important lesson we can take from Jesus' Passion, namely, that even human failure can be redeemed by God and become a means of Divine Triumph. That is the story of Jesus' passion; the triumph of Divine Love is the essential story of Easter.