02 November 2013

Camaldolese Monastic Profession, Simple Vows of Brother Ignatius Tully

Today the Camaldolese Benedictine Congregation celebrated as Brother Ignatius Tully, formerly a novice at New Camaldoli made his simple profession of vows there today on this Feast of All Saints. I celebrate this commitment with the monks at New Camaldoli and assure Brother Ignatius of my prayers.

Dom Cyprian shared Ignatius' account of his choice of names:  "When I was a teenager I came across the letters of St. Ignatius of Antioch and I was bowled over. They were the most incredible things I had ever read.  Through the years, I read them time and time again so it was a fairly easy choice, actually. I went through the motions of kidding people about other names but his was always the one that I was going to choose. St. Ignatius was a formidable saint and I don't think I am anywhere near to having his incredible burning love of God, but it is my aim that by the time I die, I'll  at least have a fraction of that."



Brother's vows are made for a period of three years. At the end of that time he could be admitted to solemn profession. After making and signing his vows he was clothed in the (modified) cowl and presented with the Rule and Constitutions of the Congregations. He was then welcomed by each member of the congregations with a kiss of peace. (At the end of the video there is a wonderfully blurred, funny, and touching picture as Dom Cyprian comes over to hug everyone watching the video for the kiss of peace!)