20 December 2019

On the Diocesan Hermit's Relationship with the Chancery

[[Dear Sister Laurel, are you well-known in your diocese? For example, besides generally knowing the diocese has a c 603 hermit do people in the chancery know you? I don't want to explain why these questions come up for me and I hope you will answer them nonetheless. Who is it that deals with diocesan hermits? Is it the Chancellor, Vicar General, Vicar for Religious or Consecrated Life, Director of Vocations?]]

No problem, the questions stand on their own so, my own curiosity aside, I don't really need to know what raises them for you. Generally speaking, it depends on the chancery, the bishop, and other circumstances as well. While I was becoming a diocesan hermit I dealt mainly with the Vicar(s) for Religious (three of them over the years, one, Sister Susan Blomstad, OSF, followed by a pair of Co-Vicars!), the Director of Vocations (Sister Susan once served in this role and then as VR), and occasionally the Chancellor. Once professed I have dealt mainly with the Bishop and his secretary. Once, when we had an interim bishop if I needed an appointment, I again dealt with the Vicar for Religious I already knew because he had done much of the work leading to my profession and was also an ecclesiastical notary. While waiting for a new bishop I also was entrusted to the care of the Vicar for Religious (a different one) should I have some need. What is still true is that if I need to speak to someone at the chancery (or they me) regarding my vocation (or if my delegate does!) it will happen through the Bishop's office via the bishop's secretary; that is, an appointment will be made with the bishop via his secretary. No one else is ordinarily involved.

I don't know if I am well-known in my diocese, though I occasionally run into people who know me from something as remote as the article done in our diocesan paper after my perpetual profession in 2007. The fact of my perpetual profession has certainly helped bring people to the chancery seeking to become c 603 hermits themselves, but this is a somewhat different question I suppose. I also know a number of people in chancery departments having nothing to do with me at all (usually Schools/Education) and will spot them sometimes while waiting for an appointment or having lunch or even checking out the cathedral book store. But chanceries change personnel regularly and there is no reason for new folks to know me at all --- nor I them. (This is exacerbated by the fact that our website and diocesan directory do not even list cc 603 or 604 vocations at all; it is also intensified by the way the bishop's office and secretary are set apart from other chancery offices and waiting areas.) If folks also come to my parish occasionally they are apt to know me, yes, and I think too if they know my pastor they might know of me -- at least a little.

Some hermits live and worship in their cathedral parish and may even do some part time work for the chancery or the parish; they will be relatively well known there just as I am in my parish, but I think this is fairly rare. Most of us live in parishes relatively distant from the chancery and/or cathedral parish and most of us (those I know of anyway) tend to meet once a year with our bishops at most -- more often in case of specific need (usually the hermit's own need when she is encouraged to call for an appointment!). Of course, I would also bet that many chancery personnel will only know folks engaged in apostolic ministry anyway; contemplatives will be unlikely to be known; if they are hermits, they will have disappeared from sight! Consider it a natural expression of the relative hiddenness of the eremitical vocation.

Those interested in becoming diocesan hermits will usually deal with Vicars for Religious or Vocation Personnel first of all. It is not usually the case that one deals with the bishop until after the VR or Vicar for Consecrated Life is prepared to recommend one for profession. (This may differ in smaller dioceses, for instance.) At that point the bishop will ask the hermit "candidate" to make an appointment with him and begin a series of meetings so that he can do his own discernment (both for the individual and for the diocese itself). Only after the bishop determines to profess the hermit will the diocese move ahead with the rite. During the time between the decision and the profession itself the hermit will be in contact with the VR, canonists, and the bishop's MC (to nail down the details of the liturgy including ministers, lectors, servers, cantors, etc., create or collect the necessary documents associated with profession, and answer questions as they arise). Post-profession the hermit will ordinarily deal with the bishop and/or his delegate for routine meetings.

I hope this is helpful.