29 January 2020

Guidelines for Those Asking Questions

Over the years I have posted this (or versions of it) at least a couple of times before this, but it is a good time to do so again, and also to add a clarification or two:

1) If you cite a blog or other source by name please be sure you are citing a public blog. [I will treat public blogs the same way I treat any other form of public media, namely, wherever possible I will cite the material and identify the author as possible as well as the date if that is included. I will also review the entire post cited to be sure nothing is being taken out of context.]

2) In some cases my answer may delete references to the person you are citing, but ordinarily I will treat names and blog titles as normal forms of attribution. I will leave your attributions intact both for the sake of accuracy and in order to be sure that critical questions are specific and not unreasonably generalized. For instance, if a diocesan hermit (or lay hermit, etc,) says something I disagree with I will use the person's name rather than risk appearing to criticize a whole group of hermits or an entire vocation.

3) If you can ask your question without direct quotes please consider doing that; if the quote is essential to the question then feel free to include it.

4) Please be sure your question is relevant to the topic of c 603 or eremitical life (or to my own life). If you believe I may have answered something like it before, please read up a bit before submitting it. This practice may answer your question or it can improve or even sharpen it. As a matter of course, however. I will answer all questions on the blog unless you ask for confidentiality.

Thanks for your consideration and for helping make this blog one I receive lots of thanks for.