25 May 2020

Two Were Bound For Emmaus



About a month ago I wrote a homily for my parish community for the Sunday using Luke's story of the Road to Emmaus. Both spending time with Luke's text and writing the reflection were very important for me personally (cf back around 28.April for this piece), and it has stayed with me throughout the Easter season. Tonight I heard the hymn, Two Were Bound for Emmaus.  There was one line that reminded me of what I wrote for yesterday's Feast of the Ascension as well: "Love unknown then walked beside them." So much of our own faith lives is about learning to "see with new eyes" because Love-in-Act walks right beside us, accompanying, comforting, consoling, inspiring and bringing us home.This has been the challenge for us all during Easter and continues now with a special urgency and new difficulty after the Ascension. I loved this version of the story we embody ourselves. Enjoy!