23 April 2023

Song of Farewell: In Memoriam for Three dear Friends

 

 Sometimes it is hard to find words for loss. At these times song can help. In April 2009 I lost three very special people, 24. April, Father Frank Houdek sj, and Marjorie C. Folinsbee, MD, and on 25. April, Philip Calanchini, MD. While these dear ones no longer have any need of being accompanied to heaven by angels (I trust they reside there in joy and peace), the hymn is a lovely and familiar one used at all Catholic funeral Masses. I love the image of these dear friends, who accompanied me in many ways in my journey with God, being at rest with God now and accompanied by throngs of God's beloved.

This piece has an added poignancy for me because, through the centuries, it was the prayer that was sung sometimes when anchorites were conveyed to their anchorholds after profession. The symbolism of dying to self and world and living only for God was quite strong, as was the imagery of being buried and/or entering the precincts of heaven in one's profession, consecration, and conveying to one's cell. We did not use a rite like this in my profession and consecration, but the symbolism still lives and is a good reminder of the work that occurs in the hermitage (c 603 terminology), and the nearness to everyone, both dead and alive, that exists because God is our common ground and accompanist.