02 September 2024

Anniversary of Eremitic Consecration

 Today is the 17th anniversary of my perpetual eremitical profession and consecration and I am grateful to God for all he has done in and with my life. A dozen years ago I wrote here, [[It was hard to believe that the joy of that day might be eclipsed by greater joy or the life it marked could grow even broader and deeper (though I hoped!!). But that is the truth of things. I thank God for most this amazing day and for all those who today are such an integral part of its deepest meaning. . .]]

In spiritual direction, one image we use to explain a particular and common experience is that of the spiral. When someone thinks they are simply repeating things and are not growing, we may point to the idea of coming around to what seems to be the same point again, and yet, doing so on a deeper level. One traces a spiral's movement in one's growth. Today is like that for me. I celebrated my birthday yesterday with friends from the parish and will celebrate today with my Director. So much is the same as it was last year, or a dozen years ago, and seventeen years ago, and at the same time, everything is different as well. Thus, seventeen years ago at the reception following my consecration, my (then) pastor quoted e e cummings (we both love his work!). Today, for so many reasons it seems even more appropriate:

I thank you God for most this amazing
day, for the leaping greenly spirit of trees
and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday; this is the birth
day of life and of love and wings:and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any --- lifted from the no
of all nothing --- human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)

Some of all of this is echoed in the slide show from seventeen years ago. As I sat here today and prayed and watched the slide show, I cried and cried! The eyes of my eyes continue to open, the ears of my ears continue to be awakened. That is the promise of the Kingdom! 



My thanks to Michael and Tony for doing both the slide show and the videos of the profession. Amazing gifts I appreciate all the more every year that passes!