26 August 2008

Followup notes and questions: Considering allowing comments; Feedback desired

Hi there from Stillsong Hermitage. As you well know, most blogs allow comments, and when I began this blog I chose not to do so for various reasons. It may be time to reconsider that. To that end, I am asking readers (there are actually a number of you, some regular visitors to this blog) to email me with their feedback on this idea. Should I allow comments? Would you like that option? Why or why not? Thanks!

Sincerely,
Laurel M O'Neal, Er Dio
Stillsong Hermitage

Followup: Hello again from Stillsong Hermitage. Thanks to those of you who responded to my question about allowing comments. In general people thought the idea was a good one so long as the comments were moderated and I maintained control. Several people disagreed with the idea, largely because they felt this would or could be distracting whether to me or to others reading the blog.

In thinking about all this I came to see that although I would like to offer the chance for comments, etc, doing so would actually detract from my own solitude, and from the sense that I am writing out of solitude and sharing its fruits. This was a bit hard to describe or define, but it simply felt to me that the boundaries between blog and readers would become more porous, and my blogging become less a solitary pursuit. I might be completely wrong about this, but I think I have to listen to this sense of mine.

At the same time, hospitality is a prime Benedictine charism and value and I DO want to accomodate questions, allow for discussions, etc. I very much enjoy getting questions from readers, and there is no doubt they help me in my writing! And of course, I do not write for myself alone. So, while I have decided not to open up the comment option for now, I am looking into other options. The one that might work is to set up some sort of message board and link it to this blog. That could allow for discussion, comments, questions, and at the same time not distract either me or others from this blog per se. I think it could allow for the growth of community here too. It is an option I will look into. Once again feedback on this is most welcome!!

Sincerely,
Laurel M O'Neal, Er Dio
Stillsong Hermitage