10 May 2018

Thanks and a Bit of News

I wanted to thank a number of people who have written me in the past weeks because I've been unable to write them myself . About 2 weeks ago now I fell and broke my wrist in 3 places. (As a result, I have yet to actually ride my new bike! Definite bummer!) It has been difficult but things are getting a bit easier right now and I'm able to try and dictate this post. (Dictation has its own often hysterical problems! If I miss some, my apologies.)

Several people sent Easter greetings and gifts and I wanted to thank them especially. That includes one regular reader from Whiting, IN I've only just met, and another who sent a book through Amazon with selections from the desert Fathers and Mothers for each day of the year. I'm also fortunate in that I was referred by my primary care doc to a wonderful orthopaedist -- one of the finest doctors I've met in some time. She's one of those rare doctors who listen actively, solve problems thoughtfully, teach as they treat, and who are sincerely respectful of their patients. Right now I have an over-the-elbow cast and in 2 weeks that will be cut down to a short cast; in another 2 weeks  or so I am hopeful it can be removed altogether.

I am hoping I can write a piece on the Ascension. Commonly speaking, it is such a little-understood mystery, one which seems to make little difference to our faith but really, one which assures us of the presence of Christ ln God's own life and, through the power of the Holy Spirit, within our everyday world. It depends on how we understand "heaven" --- as an otherworldly realm beyond the clouds or as a dimension  of our own world, a transcendent dimension, yes, because it is a transcendent God's own life and love shared with those who would be embraced and transfigured by these, but real here and now. Perhaps tomorrow!